Pontiac Repair/2001 pontiac sunfire stuck anti-theft

My car wont start and the tests done on some kind of scanner said Anti-theft preventing car from starting.  Tried to do the 30 minute learn procedure but it wont work.  The security telltale will not come on.  Could this be an ignition switch problem?

Hi Nadine:

do this disconnect the battery let the car sit for 10 minutes. hook it back up attempt to start the car it it starts and stalls let the let sit in the run position for 10 minutes untill the security light either goes out or stops flashing and goes out or stops flashing and then stays on steady. Should be 10 minutes after that hust the car off wait 1 minute and try to start the car again.. It should start and run. if it doesn't it could be a bad ignition lock housing or a bad body control module. With out seeing it I can't tell you for sure. what code set? "Usually" it's not an ignition eletrical switch it the housing the mechanical lock turns in in the column. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories