Pontiac Repair/Pontiac Grand am 98 Idle high

When i start my car my Idle goes high for about 10 seconds then drops back to normal.... I can drive it cause the idle stays normal...It justs give me a a high idle when started... Please Help!

Hi Debra:
what engine is in this? it could be a few things a vacuum leak from a split vacuum hose. It could be a bad idle control valve it could have a skewed TP sensor and it's cauing a high idle. any check engine light on? if so stop by one of the big box auto parts stores and have it scanned for codes it could be a clue as to what the issue here is. that is where I would start looking.
Good luck :-}

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories