Pontiac Repair/Montana - no sound from speakers

I have a 2003 Pontiac Montana V6 extended model.  The stereo works, it powers up, changes functions, channels, etc. but no sound comes out of the speakers.  Are there speaker fuses or have I lost the output transistors in the unit itself?

Hi There:

it could be a bad radio there or you could have 1 speaker that went bad and took out the audio from all the speakers. If your handy and have an ohn meter you can check this your self. google search a audio diagram for your van. unflug the radio and check the resistanse across the ckts for the speakers. check each speaker for resistance. the speakers should be somewhere betwwen 5 ohms and say 20 no more now less. Also check the speaker for a short to ground meaning put one lead of the meter on a good ground in the van like the metal brace that hods the dash to the truck and to 1 of the ckts from each speakerif you don't have any shorted speakers or any shorted to ground then the radio is bad. you can get a used radio from a junk yard but it has to be a radio from the same year van AND the radio needs to be set up with a scan tool to match the audiosystem/speakers your van is equipped with. good luck. :)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories