Pontiac Repair/1996 Pontiac grand am gt

Question
QUESTION: I have a 1996 Pontiac grand am gt 3.1...all of the lights on my instrument panel are on and the gauges aren't working... earlier when I tried to start it it started for a few seconds then died..any idea what the problem might be???nwx

ANSWER: Hi nikki:

On that car the IPC is the control module for the theft system. if there is an internal fualt in the IPC that could be the issue BUT more then likley there is some sort of a communication issue with the on board computers in the car. is there a water leak in the car by any chance? feel around on the carpet under the seat and see if the carpet is wet. if so then you have a BIG problem if there is a water leak the air bag module is located under the passenger seat if that get water in it it will take out the communication for all the modules and in a few cases I have seen the air bag deply on their own. Not trying to scare you but I have seen it happen! good luck :-)

QUESTION: There is water but it's the driver's side that always gets wet any idea where it might come from? The plug is still there...

Answer
water leaks can come form anywhere common places on those cars are door weatherstrips around the windows especially if the windows don't roll up fully or straight due to a bad regulator for the glass. The fire wall is a pretty common place on these as well. there is a pass thru on both sides of the car where the wire harness goes from under the hood into the car and vise versa both sides would leak or even the seam would rot out if your in the rust belt like I live. if you have water on the driver side it's on the passenger side too. the carpet and padding wicks water from side to side. My guess is the air bag module is wet/corroded if the carpet is wet. that module will take down the communication line in the car.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio