Pontiac Repair/1999 Pontiac Sunfire - no crank

Tried to start the Sunfire this morning - put key in ignition and heard beeping sound and engine would not crank over at all. Thought it was the battery and tried a boost, still the same result - beeping and no crank.
Any thoughts?

Hi Jim:

The isn't anything stock on one of these that beeps other then the horn. does it have some sort of an alaram or anti theft device added to the car? if so I would look there first. usually these have an issue with a security lamp coming on and they will not crank or crank start and stall right away. that is the factory any-theft system. every year acts a bit different but not of the factry stuff beeps. if it doesn't have any anti-theft stuff on it and the security lamp doesn't dcome on and or start flashing you need to check for "crank" volatge at the starter. the purple wire at the starter motor is the crank signal. you will need a test light and a helper to crank the car while you check for that signal volage to the starter when it is in the "crank" position. the light should light up if it does the starter is bad if it doesn't you need to trace the "crank" signal back and see where you loosing it from the ignition switch out to the engine. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories