Pontiac Repair/2000 pontiac montana wont run above 2500 rpm

I have been working on this van for the last 18 months
I have replaced the heads head gaskets intake gaskets 3 times
the fuel pump and wire harness upgrade the fuel filter the fuel pressure regulator and related vacuum hoses. This problem started 2 weeks before and after the pump and filter was replaced.  I have now got the problem that the van will Idle just fine but if you rev the motor at about 2500 rpm or just above it begins to sputter like the fuel pressure is dropping and dies and wont restart for several attempts then starts up and idles just fine until I rev it again above 2500 rpm.

I am baffled by this problem and am in dire need of assistance any information you can provide will be very helpful.

Hi there:

Well a few things you could have a restricted exhaust from a partially plug cat. converter. take the exhaust pipe off at the rear manifold and start the van up and see if it will run. These engines do have a rev limiter your not confusing it with that are you? once the van is in gear it will rev higher. another. this doesn't have any warning light on does it? Is it an AWD van or just fwd? you could have an issue with the crank sensor or ignition module. Again warning lights that could be a clue have the van scanned for codes at any of the big box auto parts stores and see what code(s) are stored.

Good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories