Pontiac Repair/93 grans am 2.3 sluggish reverse

QUESTION: I just bought a 93 grand am. It automatic. Runs and drives great. It shifts into reverse fine but doesn't like to actually go in reverse. It doesn't feel like it's slipping more like a struggle. So I can reverse downhill or on flat ground. But uphill won't happen. I was told it was probably be a clogged solenoid. Can this be true? What could it be and what do I have to do to fix it? Thank you in advance. I like the work you guys do here. Good stuff

ANSWER: Hi steve:

is this a 3 speed or 4 speed transmission in this? More then likley a 3 speed. if it's a 3 speed there are no solenoids for a shift. more then likley it has to come out and apart there is an internal failure of some kind. if it's slipping in revers it's only a mater of time before it quits altogether.

QUESTION: So I payed attention and its a 4 speed automatic. Does that change anything

No not really. If you have all 4 forward gears all the solenoids in the valve body are working. if you were missing a forward gear I would say maybe you have a valve body/solenoid issue but not likely. still sounds like it has to come out and apart.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories