Pontiac Repair/ABS light, Trac Off light come on at random

For the past several months my 2002 Pontiac Grand Am has been throwing the abs and trac light. It happens while the car is moving and I have noticed when I sit still in the car and turn the wheel back and forth the light comes on. Also the emergency brake light comes on and the car dings a few times. I have checked the wiring and everything looks fine. Could I be missing anything?

Hi Dustin.
good diagnostic skills the fact that turning the wheel back and forth can induce the problem would indicate a wheel speed sensor issue in the wiring at one of the front wheels. as the harness flexes it trips the light on. pretty common on those cars.  stop by a big box auto parts store and have the car scanned for codes they do it for free. see which wheel the code is setting for. and get a jumper harnes for that side of the car. if your real handy check the sensor at the wheel for reistance. a good sensor will have between 800-1400 Ohms reistnace. if you have a good volt ohm meter check the hub for a short to ground. touch one of the snesor wires with the meter and the other lead to something metal on the suspension the meter should real OL is you have anything but Ol the hub is shorted to the body of the car and you will need a wheel bearing assembly. that is the onlyway the sensor is serviced. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories