Pontiac Repair/A/C BFC fuse keeps blowing

For the past several months my 2002 Pontiac Grand Am has been blowing the A/C BFC fuse. At first it was unknown but I kind of figured out what is causing it. Whenever I turn my a/c on it blows the fuse and the clutch won't engage on the compressor. Once in a blue moon the compressor does come on but only for a few minutes then the fuse blows again. Am I missing something?

Hi James.

well there is a short in the power feed for the A/c compressor if the fuse keeps vlowing unplug the conpressor clutch at the compressor and start it up and see if the fuse blowes with the a/c on if it doesn't blow the clutch on the compressor is bad. if still blowes there is a short in the wiring for the compressor clutch and you need to trace the wires back from the compressor to see where the short is a crushed or rubbed thru harness.
good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories