Pontiac Repair/Intermittent no start

Hi Todd

I have a 1995 Grand Am Gt 3.1 L with an aftermarket viper alarm/remote start.
Intermittently,it wont start after having been driven.It was real intermittent for the longest time,seemed to happen when it was raining /damp out.Lately it has been happening all the time,regardless of weather,seems like something gets hot,then it wont restart.IT WILL NOT CRANK.
As stated ,it has an aftermarket alarm (Viper) on it.During the failure, I check at different points in the wiring,i have power at the yellow wire at the neutral switch,power out at the purple wire.
This had the recall done where a starter relay and wiring were added to prevent fires at the ignition switch.
I have power on the purple wire at the relay and power on pin 30 of the relay. I noted that when it fails,i lose power on pin 30 red wire at the relay.soon as it comes back,vehicle cranks.
This has a red wire now on the S terminal of the solenoid and the ppl wire is at the relay.
Relay has 2 red wires,a ppl wire and a ground.
I replaced the relay before i realized it loses power on pin 30 .
My question is,would this be moreso an alarm fault or could it be an Ignition Switch fault.

Thanks for your time

Hi Joe:

this has the recall kit on it for an ignition switch melt down. if your loosing that power to the relay check that red wire. I belive that is the constant power to the relay durin a crank event. check the wiring near the starter possably a bad crimp connection. if not then I would follor that back into the car. it's the purple crank wire from there back. so that goes though the park neutral switch and then into the car and the ignition switch. Not sure how that alaram is wired in but in the car that crank signal is the yellow wire. check all your crimp connections on that yellow wire. if your on the fense about it being the remote starter reconnect the yellow wire and take the alarm out of the mix and see what happens.
good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories