Pontiac Repair/2000 pontiac sunfire lighting issure

QUESTION: I am having a problem with my sunfire. 2000 with the 2.2L engine.

I get in the car and have no headlights, radio, dome light, dash lights, and all gauges are not working.  every search and person i talk to tells me its the Headlight/multifunction switch.  I replaced it and still have the same problem.  All the fuses are good and i used a meter to check all the wiring.  what else could it be??

Clarify for me you say radio and dash does not work do you mean the radio and dash are dead or just the lighting doesn't work for them? does the flash to pass work making the Hi beams momentarily come on when you use that on the stalk?

QUESTION: When I say radio and dash does not work  I mean conpletely dead.  No dash lights and no gauge movement.  Radio does not turn on at all.  Also the headlights do not flicker or do anything.  Dome light is not on either. Horn does not work.  The annoying ding telling you the keys are left in doesn't even sound.  Thank you!

Ok, Theere are a few common things here. You said you checked the fuses how about the big maxi fuses in the under hood fuse block by the battery? make sure those are all good. a bad ground or battery cable. the sode post batteries on these have a tendency to leak acid out and cause connection issues at the cables and if you have a battery boil over issue there are ground connections under the battery tray. Check the connections under the tray on the body. That's it for the "easy" things. now for the no so easy. Another common thread is the BCM (body) module that controls a lot of functions including interior lights and key chime. If the BCM is bad on this it will take out a lot of things or just part of the bcm is dead it will take out a lot of the car's functions. Before this happened where you getting any kind of warning light on at the dash? these cars were noted for water leaks and when that happens the carpet gets wet and then the airbag module which is under the r/f seat gets water logged and then the cars computer network goes down due to that module shorting out from water in it or the connector. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories