Pontiac Repair/Unwanted ABS activation

Question
Hi Todd,

Hope you can help me...

I have a 2006 Pontiac Torrent, 2wd, 4wheel ABS 3.4L Vin F
When im just about at a complete stop,the ABS activates,under 5mph ...happens right about as the vehicle stops.
NO ABS light on.....I know it must be a sensor dropping out, but i dont have access to a scan tool to determine which one is dropping out.

Is there any way to determine this without a scan tool?

From your experience, are there any known problems with these that cause this ? I.E. certain hub/sensor?
Any TSBs that you know of?

It doesnt have a worn/noisy bearing so i cant go that route...had an s10 in the past do this but it was an easy diag  since the RF bearing was worn/noisy.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Joe

Answer
Hi Joe:

With out the aid of a scan tool it's pretty hard to find. you have a wheel speeds sensor dropping out. there are a few things you acn try. do a google search and sind the schemaitic for the abs wheel speeds sensors. then unplug the harness at the EBCM (abs cmputer) then with a digital volt ohm meter check the loop for each wheel speeds sensor for resiatnce. the speeds sensors should be between 900-1400 Ohms with the van cold. when you check each sensor crawl under the van and wiggle the wire going to the speeds sensor and see if the reistance changes if it does you have a harness issue ging to that sensor. if you find one that the restance is hi. unplug the sensor by the wheel and check it there and see what you have if it's still hi it's a bad sensor. if it lower at the sensor it's a bad harness. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio