Pontiac Repair/2002 Pontiac Grandam sputtering

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grandam 4 cylinder engine car, over the past two years I have grown to hate this car. Recently the car seems to be sputtering, coughing so to speak when I put the brakes on to stop at a stop sign or a light etc. I checked under the hood today and the breathing hose was dry rotted. The nice guy at advance auto parts replaced it I figured thank god problem solved. Wrong the car is still acting like it might die when the brakes are used or in park. Then the trac off light went on. Please tell me what is wrong with the car. Also I have had the fuel pump, control module, coils, ignition compartment, some freaking fuse, breathing hose, spark plugs all changed. I'm still having random issues with turn signals having an issue of forgotten duties and now this. I can't afford anymore jerking around! Thanks, Angel

Hi Angel:

Has any service engine soon light come on? if so take it back to one of the big box auot parts stores and have it scanned for codes. even if the light has not come on "yet" see what codes are stored and go from there untill you have that thumb nail of a code of go off it's a crap shoot same with the anti-lock/trac off that more then likley is a wheel bearin speed sensor that has gone bad. It will not cause a rough idle or sputter. I would think that the way you said it's running it has a vacuum leak of some sort or the throttle body is carboned up and it's laboring at idle or hunting for an idle speed. with out seeing it's I can't tell you exactly what to look for. if you find out what codes are stored I can help you out further. good luck :-}

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories