Pontiac Repair/99 Pontiac Montana

I have a 99 Pontiac Montana, and In the process of driving I stopped at a convenience store ..came back and the engine wouldn't start just clicking...was told it was starter so I had it changed and come to find out I was told my engine is seized and the engine is done, is there any possible way that its something else?

Hi Ty.

well with out seeing it I can't tell you for sure but if they said it's seized up that my not entirely be true. it may not turn over but it may be hydo locked. meaning that coolant leaked into a cylinder and not allowing the engine to spin you can't compress a liquid. so if they took the spark plugs out and tryed to turn the engine over it should turn with the plugs out the coolant has a place to go and it would then turn. if there is coolant in a cylinder(S) then it could have a head gasket issue. one last though take the accy belt off and try to turn the engine if say a water pump or a/c compressor or alternator seized up that will not allow the engine to turn over either. just 2 thoughs beofre an engine is condemed. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories