Pontiac Repair/1996 grand am

QUESTION: The power went out on my car I used the remote to open the trunk. Now the abs light ,brake light stay on. No traction control, no rear defogger, radio, interior lights, door locks and trunk wont open using remote. Any ideas? Also shows code P 1573. Help! Please.54cpp

ANSWER: Hi Jim. Very Odd! does the car crank and run or nothing?

QUESTION: +-Yes. The car still starts and runs. We found that when you move the steering all the down , the dash lights go out and the brake light on the dash starts to flicker. I figure it's a short but don't know where. Also this car leaks water on driver's side . A problem G M refused to address or repair. Now I have to find the leak and repair that. I hate this car! Any idea's  would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jim:

if these issue change crop up when you changed the tilt the issue is with the wiring in the column. if this car has a water leak the air bag module gets soaked and that module is tied into the cars computer netwrok. so if that module goes down it will take out other modules. if the carpet is very wet I would suggest not driving it. if the module get wet enough and corroeded enough the air bag couid go off while you drive it down the road.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories