Pontiac Repair/2007 Pontiac G6 Convertible

Question
Hi Todd!
The other day I got an error "Top Not Secure" and my trunk would not open, by either using the key fob or the door button.  
My husband went online and read to reset the battery cable so he disconnected and reconnected and the trunk opened using the key fob.
This morning I had the same error message "Top Not Secure" and cannot open the trunk.  Do you have any idea what the problem might be?  Thank you!

Answer
Hi Anne:

this is a very complex and expensive system to get repaired Bet they didn't tell you that when you bought it new? with out seeing it I can't tell you for sure what the issue is this system has a multitude of codes related to all the switches that are on all the linkage pieces to make the roof move. from the time that the trunk would not open to open to not opening again did you have the top down/open? or it opened and worked 1 day and the next day it didn't work? It's kind of odd that the trunk will not open that is NOT a common failure for this system usually there are issues with the latches and switches above the top of the windshield or at the rear deck lid. You can try stopping by one of the big box auto parts stores and have them scan the car for codes (they do this for free) and see what codes are in the system to prevent it from opening. problem is their cheap scan tools may not be complex enough and have the right software to read what codes are in the roof system. until you know what the fault is I can't tell you where to star looking. I can tell you this is NOT a do it your self repair like I said it's a very complex system. also the parts are becoming more and more scarce GM on built this for a few years and it was in limited production when they did build them and due to it being rare the parts pipeline is drying up on some of the parts... Good luck :-}

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio