Pontiac Repair/Sunbird Fuel Gauge

Hi Todd!     '91 Sunbird LE Convertible, 3.1L, automatic, full gauges cluster. Fuel gauge pegs beyond Full when actually full. By the time it drops to about 1/2 on the gauge I run out of gas. Never drops below 1/2. Any suggestions? You're just down the road from me - I live near Ripley, NY just across the PA line.

Hi Pat.

well it can be a few things. either a bad fuel level sensor in the tank. has the fuel tank ever been replaced in this car that you know of? if so it's possible that it has a bad tank in it. ther are baffles in the gas tank that stop the fuel from sloshing away from the pump on a turn or quick stop one of them may have come loose in the tank and it ir stuck under the flat for the level sensor not allowing it to drop to below 1/2 tank. last thing it could be is the gauge it's self it will not move past 1/2 tank, with out seeing it I can't tell you which iss it is. good luck.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories