Pontiac Repair/Sunbird Fuel Gauge

Question
Hi Todd!     '91 Sunbird LE Convertible, 3.1L, automatic, full gauges cluster. Fuel gauge pegs beyond Full when actually full. By the time it drops to about 1/2 on the gauge I run out of gas. Never drops below 1/2. Any suggestions? You're just down the road from me - I live near Ripley, NY just across the PA line.

Pat

Answer
Hi Pat.

well it can be a few things. either a bad fuel level sensor in the tank. has the fuel tank ever been replaced in this car that you know of? if so it's possible that it has a bad tank in it. ther are baffles in the gas tank that stop the fuel from sloshing away from the pump on a turn or quick stop one of them may have come loose in the tank and it ir stuck under the flat for the level sensor not allowing it to drop to below 1/2 tank. last thing it could be is the gauge it's self it will not move past 1/2 tank, with out seeing it I can't tell you which iss it is. good luck.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio