Pontiac Repair/1996 pontiac sunfire gt

its been tuned up recently traveled after trip was about 400 mi. maintained fuel and oil but on last oil it was overfilled so I took about 1 1/2 quarts out it cranks everything turns on but wont start changed the ignition fuses the 20 and 50 now im boosting it but still no luck how do I know if it might be the crank shaft sensor or whats wrong?

Hi Jenna:

it will not crank (turn over)? it's not a crank shaft sensor. you need to check the "crank" voltage at the purple wire at the starter motor. have someone crank the car and you need check the voltage on that wire at the starter motor. if there is 12 volts on that wire the starter motor assembly is bad if not then you have a bad neutral safety switch on the transmission or a bad ignition switch or if this had an ignition switch relay recall cone on it then it could be the relay that was installed in that recall kit. it's a process of elimination and back tracking from the starter to find where you are loosing the "crank" voltage. out of the ignition switch that ckt. is a yellow wire and it changes at the safety switch on the transmission to purple. good luck :)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories