Pontiac Repair/2005 Pontiac Sunfire - Bad Vibration

My wife was sitting in her car with it idling and the heater on when suddenly it started vibrating violently, apparently from the engine. When she turned off the heater it either stopped or lessened drastically. She took it for a drive and as soon as she turns on the heater it begins vibrating and shaking again. Any ideas?

ANSWER: Hi curt;

something got sucked into the blower motor and it is thrown the balance off on the impeller on the blower motor. it could be anything from a critter that wound up in ther to a bunch of leaves. it is going to have to be take out of the heater box and see what got stuck in the motor. good luck :-)

Thanks for answering so quickly. Could something in the blower motor make the whole car shake violently? I wasn't in the car but I happened to be on the phone with her at the time and it was very loud and she said the whole car was shaking. Based on the sound and what she was saying I really thought it was the engine or transmission or something more major than a little blower motor in the dash. However, I do appreciate your advice and will take a look at the blower motor when I get home. Thanks again!

my first idea is still that just an idea the only other factor in this could be the a/c. if the HVAc is placed in any a/c modes or  defroster the compressors runs and could caus a noise or vibration if you put the mode on heater or vent if the vibration goes away it's with the a/c compressor. if it's still there in vent or heater it's the blower motor if it goes away when the hvac it turned off that is what the issue is. with out seeing feeling or hearing it it's just a guess based on what you told me.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories