Pontiac Repair/2009 Pontiac G6 Engine dies

Question
QUESTION: My 2009 G6 GT 6 cylinder engine intermittently shuts off while driving. Had it happen 6 times on the way home the other day at various speed. Did not see any messages on the radio console but did see the car with the lock symbol appear on the dash. The first time it died, it started right back up. Each successive occurence was worse, from getting a clicking sound to nothing. After it sets a few minutes it will start back up. GM dealership had it 10 days and said they could not find anything wrong. Picker it up today and before I got home.. 12 ti 15 miles away it died again. Help!

ANSWER: Hi Kevin:

when this dies out what happens? is it like the key was just shut off. or does it spit sputter and then die. Any warning at all before it happens? any warning lights come on when it dies. when it dies do all the accy stay one like radio blower motor  etc.. Does it start right back up if not does it labor or crank hard/long when it starts up? does the odometer work does it display error or do you still see the mileage. when it starts back up do any warning lights stay on? sorry for all the question but the more you can tell me the better way I can try to point you. all these questions should have been ask of you when you dropped it at the dealer. other then heat from driving it anything else in common outside temp or raining etc...  one thing I would really look long and hard at with this year car is the battery cables the negative cable is an issue on these cars on 2009 model year for some reason.

QUESTION: Hi,

Thanks for responding. Yes, it is like someone just turned the key off. It does not sputter then die. Except for one time there is not any kind of warning. The one time there was a quick jerk like you hit the brake and the check engine light came on, but it regain itself and went on. All the other times it just dies. No it doesn't not start right back up, it usually takes 2 or 3 minutes. During that time, there is usually nothing when you turn the key and try to start it, a few times there was a clicking noise like the starter was bad. All the guages work and nothing is displayed on the radio or the odometer, I still see the mileage. When it dies, the blower motor still works. As for the weather, it has been cold and sort of damp and misty on one day... just cold on the other day.

Answer
I think I would look at battery cables and connections. the fact that is just clicked and would not cranks. try this when it's running try this pull on the cables especially the ground (-) cable and see if the car dies when you are doing that. I would also stop by one of the big box stores and just for the hell of it have the car scanned for codes and see if there are any codes in any modules that would have some sort of a smoking gun to point towards something that could be the root cause.  

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio