Pontiac Repair/99 sunfire ignition

My son was driving my 99 sunfire when something got wedged under the shifter, when he tried forcing the car into park he broke the weld on the shifter arm. I can have the shifter rewelded but my ignition will not lock all the way back and the key can be pulled out in any position, also I don't need the key to start the vehicle. So would it fair to assume that the ignition needs to be replaced?

Hi Jeff:

I think you had ignition lock cylinder or a key. if those double sides keys are really worn out they can be removed in any position. when the key wears out the shavings from the key wind up in the cylinder and the tumbler bind/stick and that is why it will turn with out a key in it. it's a safety concern that the key can be turned that easily. as far as the key not turning all the way back to off the detent cable for the lock cylinder may be out of adjustment. it attaches to the bottom of the shifter control if the handle is bent the cable may not be adjusted properly thus not allowing the cylinder to turn all the way back to the off position. the adjustemnt of the cable is at the end where it attaches to the shifter control on the floor. good luck.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories