Pontiac Repair/Starting problem

QUESTION: I have a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville that wont start all the lights come on the battery is new but it when i try to start it nothing not even a click from the starter i can hear my fuel pump and all the other things that works when you start it but its not doing anything at the starter also nothing is corroded I cleaned all connections. Can a starter just go out on a Pontiac Bonneville without giving a warning cause it did all this right after i drove it and it was parked for a few hours.??????

ANSWER: Hi Jimmie:

when you try to start it does a security light come on and or start flashing? if so I'm thinking the factor ant-theft system bay be your issue. do you have an other key to try to start it?  if that doesn't work try shifting the car into Neutral and crank it you could have a bad safety switch in the trnamission. if that doesn't work you will need to check for the crank signal at the starter motor. the small purple wire on the starter motor is the crank input to the solenoid on the starter. use a 12Volt test light on that terminal to ground and have someone crank the car and see if that light lights if it does the starter assembly is bad. if not you have an electrical failure to the motor and it's one of the things I mentioned above.
Good luck :-}

QUESTION: I just checked it and it goes out then i sat there and played with the ignition switch and it started when i turned it all the way to start and eased it of a little bit, So i did this several times and it would start so it's the switch im sure. So what do you think my friend? Oh ya the Security light goes out when i turn the key so its not that..

ANSWER: you say it started? do you men the car cranked and started or the security light started to light up and or flash then it went out? You lost me? it still doesn't crank? did you check for that crank signal at the starter?

QUESTION: The security light goes out and i can crank my car by turning back on my ignition switch slightly. The security light comes onlike it should and goes out but when i turn my key to the start position it says nothing but when i turn it back slowly it hits the right spot and starts.

from what your saying it sounds a lot like a bad ignition switch but it could also be a bad security module with is on the ignition switch with out the aid of a scan tool to see what that module is doing I can't say for sure if you get the car started keep it running and stop by a big box car parts store and have the car scanned for codes and see what is stored and go from there if codes are stored it could be a thump print to the issue. they scan codes for free. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories