Pontiac Repair/Starting problem

Dear Todd,
You have helped me in the past with various problems and always very satisfactorily.
Although you are named as an expert for Pontiac cars and mine is a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL coupe, I assume that, as with previous problems, for which I requested your help, this one will be similar to the Pontiac Grand Prix of that period.
My car (Olds Cutlass Supreme coupe SL 1989) has run  99500 miles and I experienced the following problem:
After a normal short trip, I parked the car.
On returning to the car after 2 hours, the engine cranked perfectly but did not start.
I checked overflow, by pushing the gas pedal down to the floor, but no success.
All meters showed normal values, although before the few first cranks, the oil meter showed a full circle pressure; at later tries it showed NO oil pressure as it should.
I let the car stand overnight and the next day the engine started normally at the first cranking and had a stable idle.
I suspect the Fuel filter, because it was replaced 21000 miles ago and before that twice, the last time after aprox.16000 miles.
I ordered a new filter, to exclude such a failure again.
Do you agree that this could be the problem or are there other options?
I checked for codes on the ALDL connector, by connecting the DIAGNOSTIC terminal (B) to terminal A (ground)  with a wire.
Results: SES light keeps flashing code 12 all the time, so it reacts, but no trouble codes are shown.
Pls let me have your opinion about this.
Also: Is there a possibility that other codes will show up if a regular diagnostic SCANNER is plugged into the ALDL connector, instead of the wire I used?
Your help will be highly appreciated!
(Pls note that my e-mail address is .nl not .com)

Henk Niekoop Eindhoven The Netherlands (Holland)

Hi there and I do remeber answering a question for you. Not to many people from out side of north america ask me questions.
The oil pressure guage/gauge issue you have I would think is unrelated to the issue you have. as for the fuel filter not a bad ide to change it just due to the milage since last replaced I doubt that is your issue either unless it's plugged solid. the code "12" is a normal(no codes stored) code and it let you know that the ecm is repsonding to the dtc display request. what you need to do is when this will not stat see what's missing. fule pressure,spark or injetor pulse. it could be any of the 3. my gues is it's loosing either injetor pulse or spark. spark can be either from a bad crank shaft sensor or ignition module.  no injetor pulse can be from a bad ignition module or ecm or an injetor that the resitance is skewed high or low when the engine warms up. that was pretty common on the 2.8 and 3.1 V6 engines from that era. if one or more injetors would shour the engine computer would shut down and not pulse 1 bank or the other or both. you can trya goodle search for that and it will give you resitance checks for the injetors. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories