Pontiac Repair/2004 Pontiac Vibe Trunk

When I raise up my trunk. My trunk will not stay up on it's own. Noticed this not staying up during the cold cold weather.  Could this be because of cold weather..moisture?  Have to hold hold trunk up with hand...then put stuff in my trunk....trunk and hatch locks and open just fine.    When I hand raise my trunk will not stay up........Thanks!

Hi there.

You vibe needs a set of lift gate support struts. basically they are shock absorbers that hold up the gate. either the oil has leakied out of them or the cold weather is making the seals in the supports leak.  any big box auto parts stors will have what your looking for. No need to get the part at the dealer. If they can't find a listing for your vibe have them look up a Toyota Corola Matrix it's the exact same car. good luck :-}

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories