Pontiac Repair/2008 Pontiac Grand Prix

Question
Car was driving and running great.  Cranked up fine but died on the way out of the drive way.  When I try to crank it back up it is turning over but won't fire up.  When you take the key out the horn honks a couple times.  Only problem we have recently had with car is that the switch to turn the high beams on and off wasn't working when you wanted to turn the high beams off.  The only way to get them off was to keep your finger just behind the lever the entire time you are driving.  Any ideas on what this could be? The engine is a 6 cylinder if that helps.

Answer
Hi Peggy:

The 2 issues you have are unrelated, sounds like you have a bad dinner switch in the steering column for the lights. as for the ru8nning issue you missing something either spark or fuel. turn the car off wait a minute and turn the key to run have a helper stand by the gas tanks and see if you hear the fuel pump run it's in the tank. if you don't her it running could be a bad pump. if you have a rubber mallet have someone pound on the bottom of the tank while you try to crank the car the jolt from the mallet may jar the pump enough that is starts and runs. if you hear the pump run you will need to check the fuel pressure to see if there is indeed pressure just because you her it run doesn't mean it's pumping. a gauge is needed to check that. next would be to check for spark. you will need a spark checker which is another special tool to see if there is indeed spark on all 6 cylinders. you need to see what part of the equasion is missing. no warning light on the dash like theft system or any thing like that right?  Good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio