Pontiac Repair/my car is not cranking

QUESTION: I have changed my fuel filter and there is gas coming through the regulator but its not coming through the main gas line. I have also checked my relay and it is operating properly. M.y fuel pump is kicking on

ANSWER: Hi nicole.

what year and model car is this and engine as well. you say you have fule at the regulator but not the main line? ther has to be. the regulator is at the end of the main fule line if your pressing the pressure relief tap that is the line pressure from the pump. do you have a pressure guage to check what the pressure is? does thid have spark when your cranking the car ?

QUESTION: Hello its a 2002 pontiac grand prix and I press the pressure relief on the regulator and fuel comes out but I press the pressure relief on the main gas line and it doesnt squirt fuel. I do not have a pressure gauge but the fuel coming from the regulator is not a strong pressure but my fuel pump is kicking on everytime.

ANSWER: The regulator is on the low side return back to the tank so there should be less fuel there that is normal. if you press on the relief valve on the rail you should get a good amount of fuel. it one of 2 things either the regulator is bad not allowing the pump to buiold pressure or the pump is bad and it can't build pressure. If the fuel filet rwas plugged solid chances are it damaged the pump that is usualy what happens people for getto chage it as a maintence item until it's too late.

QUESTION: Im not getting any gas out of the relief valveon the rail. The regulaor has recently been replaced. The pump is coming on everytime I turn the switch over but Im not sure it is pumping strong enough. So even though the pump is coming on do you think its still possible the pump is bad?

Yes if you indeed hear the pump run but you have no pressure ayt the relief valve the pump is either bad or you ran out of fule. that vinatge grand prix had issues with the fuel level sensors going bad they would read full or near or even 1/2 when the tank is bone dry.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories