Pontiac Repair/wining sound

Question
My 2000 trans am ws6 is making a wining sound when its running an when I give it gas what could it be

Answer
Hi there:

well it can be a lot of things does the noise go away when it's in gear? or is it there all the time? first thing I would do it take the serpantine (drive belt) off the front of the engine and see if the noise goes away. Actually that car has 2 belts 1 for the a/c take that one off first it's the smaller belt and goes on fist. start the car up and see if the noise if gone if it is it's either the a/c compressor or the belt tensioner for the belt. you can spin those parts by hand (with the engine off of course) and see if you feeel either of them have a crunchy feel or noise heard. if the noise is still there then do the same thing with the big belt. if the noise is gone it's one of those items driven by the belt. There are far to mank components that spin on this to say yes that is the issue. it's a process of elimination. Good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio