Pontiac Repair/Headlights/daytime lights not working

Question
QUESTION: Headlights/daytime lights will not work at all. checked the 50 and 51 fuses under the hood they looked good. the switch seams to work it turns on everything else on just no headlights. the high low turns the fog lights on and off like it should. last time I drove the car both headlights worked

ANSWER: Hi Roy

what model and year car is this?
you say the DRL's do not work but you also said the hi/lo and fog lights work???

QUESTION: sorry its a 2002 Pontiac grand am gt
the drl don't work
the headlights don't work
but all the turn signal marker lights tail and brake lights come on when the switch is turned on
the hi low turns the fog lights on and off like it should just no headlights at all

Answer
Hi Roy:

ok that's better, the fact that the fog lights turn on is an indication that the switch (head light) works so you have an issue with either both bulbs burt out at the same time (NO really I have seen it happen) or you have a power issue going to the bulbs. the r and l head lamps have separate fuses so I doubt both fuses blew. so either you have a bulb issue or possably the headlamp/dlr relay is bad. The fuse box is under the hood take the cover off it and look for the relays marked head lamps or hi beam or lo beam or DRL each year is different. all the relays have a part # stamped on the top of them fin another one in the box that is the same part # and sawp it and see if the lights work if so you found the issue if not your going to have to take one of the lamps out and check for power and ground at the bulb if you have it the bulb is burnt out if not you need to trace back wards from the bulb connector to the fuse box looking for an open ckt. one other thing to look at is these cars had issues with the connector melting on the bulbs especially if the wrong bulb was installed. halogen or silver start bulbs will do that they have to much of a current draw and the connectors melt.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio