Pontiac Repair/wont do nothing

Question
1990 pontiac firebird/305 will not start r even make a clicking noise with key but if you move the steering wheel to the side it will make a clicking sound tried starting it underneath with starter turns over but wont start. Please help

Answer
Hi Carla:

The factory security system is preventing the car from starting. ther are wires in the steering column that are attached to the lock cylinder and the wires broke off you wiggeling the steering wheel is enough of a vibatation to make the wires touch momentarily but not good enough to allow it to start and run. it needs a new lock cylinder and a key for that new cylinder cut with the same resistor # that you have in your current key. this is a dealer only part. they will need to read the pellet # on the key to cut the new key to match the cylinder. sounds confusing but really it's not. they need to match the pellet that the car knows to the new key code the lock cylinder will have.  

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio