Pontiac Repair/2000 Bonneville won't start

Hi Todd, My girlfriend has a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville with a 3.8-V-6 engine. One of her kids changed the radio & now it has an error code that says "Security Alarm or Alert" & will not start. This car also has an aftermarket remote starter. Was has to be done to resolve this issue? Thank You for your time. Dale

Hi dale:

There are a lot of possibilities here depending on the radio that was put in this if the  radio was hooked up incorrectly and it has a ground wire or a power feed taped into the communication wire for all the modules that is why it will not start/crank. If it's an after market would just about bet you that is the issue. the communication wire on that car is a dark green wire so if there is something taped into that un hook it and see if the car starts, if you swapped the radio with another radio that was designed to fin in that car it sould be the same issue but a bad radio that has a short in it taking down the communications. the remote start un to it's self is a problem. BUT as long as none of the wires were disturbed when the radio was replaced it "should be oak" with out seeing it I can't tell you for sure. I hate working on cars will any thing after market added to them that causes more trouble then it's worth. Good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories