Pontiac Repair/Steering & Cracking Noises

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand-Am GT - 3.4L V6 Engine - Every time I turn my steering wheel to the left or right I hear a cracking noise and can feel it crack under my feet on the driver's side. I just had my steering rack replaced since I was told that was most likely the problem, however, it still makes the cracking noises. Plus, now my steering wheel is real stiff to turn. I suppose that's because of the new steering rack and hopefully after driving it for a while it'll loosen it up. If you can give me any pointers as to what's causing this problem, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Hi Susan:

well with out being able to her it I can't tell you for sure what the issue is BUT if that noise was not there before the steering rack was replaced and now it is then there is a good chance it's replaced the new steering gear or something happens when the gear was replaced. I would take it back and insist that the issue be addressed especially if this cropped up after the repair. sorry I can't be of more help but noises are really hard to find in the first place because the noise travels and not being able to hear it as well.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories