Pontiac Repair/97 grand am gt

Hi, I have a few problems with my car.

1) high beam indicator is flashing.

2) door locks are not functioning with either switch. But they work fine when I hit the key on or off (I have the relay to replace it but don't know where to locate it)

3 headlights don't come on automatically. The taillights and parking lights do, but not the headlights (I did try cleaning the light sensor inside the defroster grill, no change)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi jeff.

the issue with the head lights is the ckts for the day time running lights. there is a broken wire or an open splice in the forward lamp harness for the head lamps. the lighst are wired in a series ckt and if there is a break in the ckt you get that end result that you . you will need to un wrap the harness between the head lamps and look for the bad splice. there is a relay bundle in the middle of the harness behind the bumper near the middle start that and work out towards the lamps...  if the locks work with the auto when you put the car in drive or park and with the remote it's not the relay(S) I would bet you have a couple of bad switches or a wiring issue with a splice there between the doors and the relay(s) for the locks. the auto locks and remotes use the same relays for the switches as they do for the remote and auto door locks.
Good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories