Pontiac Repair/Battery light, good Alt. good Battery

Hi I have a 2005 G6 changed starter rod bearing and lifters. Now have battery light on. Had Batt. and Alt tested both are good. 12.5 volts on batt. And only 12.5v from Alt. Its not charging battery....As far as I know should be getting 13+ from Alt. Is there a fusible link? Looked at all plugs wires, grounds seem ok, fuses seem ok.

Hi Jason:

if you have 12V at the big red wire at the alternator the fuse is good for the alt. you said you had the alternator checked and it's OK? you took it off and took it to the parts store to have them check it? was the engine out of this car to fix it? if so I would check all the ground connections on the engine to make sure #1 they are all hooked up and #2 that they are tight. the engine control module (computer) turns the alternator on it requests the alternator to charge so you could have an issue with the computer or the wiring from the compute to the alternator got pinched and or broken and that is what's wrong with out seeing it I can't tell you for sure...  Good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories