Pontiac Repair/car want crank when turning key

I have a 2002pontic sunfire thats was running fine yesterday non probs.then go out to leave and it want start I turn the key an here the fuel pump try to kick on but the key doesnt crank the car its done this not cranking once before but after trying to start it a few times it started right up .now its not doing nothing but turning thr lights on in the dash but no cranking .could it be ignition  ?

Hi Ashley:

is the security light on and or flashing when you try to crank the car? if so the passlock cylinder in the steering column is bad. try this turn all the accy's off on the car try to crank the car and then release the key to the run position and let it sit for 10 minutes. the security light should stop flashing or go out after 10 minutes. then turn the key to off wait 1 minute and then try to start the car again. it "should crank and run" if the light is not on and not flashing it could be a bad starter motor if nothing happens and no clicking no crank.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories