Pontiac Repair/Heater hose connector question...

Question
Mr. Puccio,
I've got a 2001 Buick LeSabre (Custom) with the 3.8L 3800 series engine.  It's been running real hot lately, so I put in a new water pump.  (Frankly, I don't think the old water pump was bad, but I was in there and a new WP is only $40.)  And then I put in new heater hose connectors.  The old ones looked OK from the outside, but once I got 'em off I saw that they had just broken off on both ends.  So I put in new aluminum ones, since they weren't much more than the plastic ones.  But there's still a slight leak somewhere...because I see a very slow drip off the back of the tensioner housing.  My question:  I've got a little gasket sealer left over from the water pump installation.  Would it be OK (safe, etc.) to put a little around the ends of the heater hose connectors?  That way I'd know for sure that I've got a good, waterproof seal on both ends.  And if the leak continues, I'll know to look elsewhere for it.
Any suggestions, info you can share will be greatly appreciated.
Warm regards,
David

Answer
Hi David:
well with out seeing it I can't tell you for sure what the issue here is. But the 2 plastic elbows that go into the tensioner from the front timing cover and to the intake manifold are known leak issues on that 3800 engine. the heater hose conectors your speaking of Usually do not leak they have o ring seal on them just like the plastic elbows do. putting RTV sealr on an o-ring is not a great Idea in a pinch it can work but not long term. there is a reason that they are leaking maybe the tensioner is corroded where the O-rings seal and that is why it's leaking>? again I can't tell you with out seeing it. the most likely it's a corrosion issue either at the tensioner or in the intake or the front cover some place the old elbows wre and then new ones are not sealing correctly. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio