Pontiac Repair/Charging system warning light

Hello Todd,
I own a 1994 Buick Park Avenue (base model) with the 3.5L engine with 131,000 miles on it. My charging system warning light will come on steady and then flicker for a couple of seconds and go out. This happens randomly. I have a brand new battery and alternator and the charging output is right around 14.5V when checked with a volt meter. Any ideas? Thanks for your time.

Hi Rennie:

well first off was this the original issue? or did it crop up after part replacement? secondly you need to catch it when it's broken and the light either flickering or on steady else wise it's just a guess. if it cropped up after the parts were replaced it's not the first time a "New" part out of the box was bad. in the mean time you should check your battery connections at the battery and on the other side where they connect to the engine and body. not 100% sure what turns the request on for the alternator my on-line service manuals only go back to 1998 and 4 model years is a huge difference in GM land. when it's acting up check the battery voltage if it say less the 12 volts it's not charging. check the big red wire on the back of the battery for voltage while it's running and also the small plug may have 2 wires in it at least one of them should have between 5-12 volts if you have 2 wire s with nothing or below 5 volts the request to turn the alternator on is what's missing.
good luck :-}

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories