Pontiac Repair/Limp Home mode

I have a 2007 Pontiac G6.  Bought from a dealership and literally 20 miles it went into limp home mode.  No service engine soon light, and does not look like any thing has been disturbed around the engine.  How do I check on this with out a service engine soon light to throw off a code?

Hi pierce:

well usually when that happens a key cycle off and on will return normal operation unless what ever happened is a hard fault. did you get any messages on the radio display like reduced engine power? and service engine soon light on? if it is running normal now stop by any of the big box auto parts stores and have it scanned for codes they do this for free is what is any codes stored and you can go from there. just a question does this have a sun roof and was it raining when it happened?  

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories