Pontiac Repair/1996 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2

Hi there Tod, I recently replaced a damaged hydrloic valve, a head gasket, and the oil pump, seal,screen,and oil pan gasket. The car ran great for two days. now it has a loud knocking sound which seems to get louder as the car gets hotter. any idea what this could be?

Hi Steve:

well it more then likely has a bad connecting rod bearing. and as it gets hotter the oil is thinner and the oil pressure drops off and the oil is no longer taking up the clearance. probably what happened is dirt got into the pan when you did the head gasket and it took out the lower end of the engine. Yes there is an oil filter but it doesn't screen out everything and also when you first start the car the oil pressure is high for a instant and it by passes he filter so any dirt grit etc that was in the pan was pushed up into the lower end of the engine. don't keep running it. if you got lucky it didn't damage the crank shaft and you can just put in a new set of bearing but usually it's pretty bad carnage when a bearing goes bad.  none the less it's going to have to come apart again. sorry for the bad news. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories