Pontiac Repair/Pretensioner Replacement

QUESTION: Recently, I had the ignition replaced on a 'Recall for 2007 G5 Pontiacs.   Now,two-three weeks later,I have 'Service Air Bag' light come up on my dash.
I took it to the dealership today...they said the Pretensioner needs replacing 'under the passenger seat'.  When I looked up Pretensioner , it indicates the seat belt assembly.  I have no idea and can't find what is 'under the seat' ie. whether it's a censor or module or what.    Can you tell me what this is?  It's supposed to be replaced in 4 days ... I need your answer a.s.a.p. please and thank you!

ANSWER: Hi Carmen:

The pretensioner is the buckle part of the seat belt. pretty common issue on that car.

QUESTION: I'm confused as you and internet refers to the seat belt ( or part of it).... The dealer is trying to tell me that they have to remove the seat to replace something ' under ' it....their part cost $375.... This job will be $500+ with labour .....I looked up Pretensions and it says the whole seat belt at under $100.....   So do you know of any thing that would refer to under the seat or anything?    Thanks

the seat doesn't have to be removed to replace the pretensioner. NO you could have an issue with the passenger presence system that is a lot more expensive and requires the seat cushion being removed and calibraterd with a scan tool. that is more involved and more expensive. you need to know exactly what is wrong.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories