Pontiac Repair/skylar

2000 firebird 3.8 v6
I am only able to give ot very little gas if i give it to much it bogs down. When i.givw ot full throttle in park and let off it starts acting like its about to die then after 10 sec it stars idling right again

Hi Skylar.

Sounds like it has a fuel delivery problem either a plugged/restricted fuel filter or a pump that is starting to wear out and not able to produce enough fuel pressure. There could be other issue like a bad mass air flow sensor but that is not a very common issue on those the most likely cause is a fuel filter it's usually the last thing changed instead of the first. That is a very often over looked part until it's too late! Usually they plug up and then they burn out the pump makes it work to hard to push the fuel though a clogged filter. Just as a side note these engine have a rev limiter in park usually it's about 3,000 RPM's and the engine will cut out/bog down ust as a safety feature. once the car is in drive or reverse that limiter is no longer in play and the engine should be able to rev up under a load. last thing it could be is a restricted exhaust meaning the catalytic converters are plugged up usually that happens from an over fueling problem. leaking injectors.... good luck.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories