Pontiac Repair/still idles too high

Question
My 1991 Olds Cutlass with 3.1L v6 still idles too high. I did the learn thing you told me to do and I checked for leaks as you suggested and it still idles too high. It's so high, when I put it into gear the cv joint on the driver side is making a clunking noise now. I'll probably have that replaced after I get the idle under control. You said there can be other issues. Can you explain? Thanks so much.

Answer
did it idle lower for a while and then back to a fast idle again? of no change at all.? if it did work for a bit try this disconnect the battery and let it sit a 10 minutes and try again. if not then there is something either driving the idle high or the engine computer is at fault here. the problem is that you need a true engine scan tool to see the data the engine control module sees to looks for what is driving the idle high. and even if you had a scan tool you need to know what to look for. so it's kind of beyond the do it your self fix right now. what I would be looking for is the IAC (idle air control motor) is at for counts in park engine e ideling. and I would look at the TP sensor (throttle position) and the throttle angle % those at the tell tail things to look at for an increased idle on these engines. .

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio