Pontiac Repair/ABS Locking?

Question
Hi, i own a 2000  Pontiac Bonneville SSEi and i was driving my car the other day and got on a ramp to get on route 30, i was completely stopped and the brakes were engaged but when i released and started to accelerate it was as if the brakes were still engaged and made a terrible grinding noise along with a sharp jolt after they released.  I'm not sure if its a problem with the brakes or if it is even the breaks thats the issue.  so if you could give some pointers or advice i would be very appreciative.

Answer
Hi Joshuah:

being that it's an SSEI I will assume it has traction control as well as the standard ABS. if that that is the case it could have a wheel speed sensor that is starting to go bad and sending a false reading to the ABS module turning the traction control on. Has any ABS light come on at all. does the abs kick in on a slow gradual stop when the roads are not slippery? if so the same thing is the issue a bad ABS sensor. if that is not the case and your not experiencing that doe the brake pedal feel funny spongy or stiff? if that is the case possible that something was added to the brake fluid by mistake and the seals are swelling up due to something NOT brake fluid put in the master cylinder. a good way to check that is take the cap off the master cylinder and see if the seal on the under side of the cap is all swollen up and bloated. I have seen cars that went to a quick oilchange and the people put the wrong fluid in the wrong place for "free fluid top off's" if you have had ABS lights on stop by tany of the big box auto parts stores and they will scan the car for free for codes and let you know if there are any ABS codes stored. if so it's a good place to start looking for a fault. Good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio