Pontiac Repair/08 Grand Prix

my car has began making this noise that sounds like vibrating metal with almost an echo sound as it stops.  it only occurs when i accelerate. The sound does not appear to be from the TC but almost like a pulley.  Any ideas?

Hi Catherine:

well it sounds like it's something belt driven on the front of the engine. Does the A/C still work on this car? If so turn the a/c on and see if the noise goes away if so it's more then likely the clutch on the front of the a/c compressor. if that is the case your better off to replaced the whole assembly then just getting the clutch fixed usually it's just a band air then either the pulley/bub on the compressor goes bad or it starts leaking etc. just replace it if the noise goes away with the a/c on. if it doesn't change it could either be an idler pulley for the bet or the tensioner all pretty common issues on the 3800 engine I'll assume that yours is a V6 engine 95% of them have that engine.... Good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories