Pontiac Repair/2002 Grand am

Question
QUESTION: I have a 2002 grand am 4 cylinder and my abs light service engine soon light and traction control light are on have changed both front wheel bearings and both wringing harness I bought skf bearings from napa and when it is put on a snapon scanner the scanners reads open circuit on right side did I get bad wheel bearing or is there something else can you help?

ANSWER: Hi Clyde:

wheel bearings are VERY common on these cars so are the wheel speed harness's if you just put a short jumper harness on it chance are the harness is damaged further up into the body harness beyond where you put a new connector on it. Usually the harness is bad right along where control arm meets the sub frame the harness flexes most right there. that is a good brand of part. If you want to check the new bub to be sure the wheel speed harness resistance should be between 800-1400 Ohms if you have a digital ohm meter. Good luck!

QUESTION: When I replaced the wheel speed harness I went all the way up into where the wire splice into the main harness just below that  so should I test the bearing or the harness it self or I guess what I am saying is do I unplug bearing and check it for ohms or do I check the wire coming from module.

Answer
check the resistance of the sensor in the hub first. then unplug the module and jumper the 2 wires at the bub and check the ckts at the module  I'm sure you can google the harness connector at the abs module to fine the correct ckts to test if you jumper the 2 ckys together with say a paper clip put the ohm meter on the 2 ckts at the module connector you should have a complete ckt with very little resistance say under 2 ohms if it' OL or has much more then 2 or 3 ophms you have high resiatnce OL is an open ckt.  

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio