Pontiac Repair/Cavalier speedo issue

Hi Todd-

I know this is a Chevy question but no Chevy expert and I think this car is basically the same as a Pontiac Sunfire.

My daughter is looking at buying a 2003 Chevy Cavalier (2.2/Auto) from a private party. A few minor issues but the one I can't figure out is that the speedo will not go back to zero. Stops between 10-15mph. Seems to work OK as the car is moving but stop and it shows 12mph. Is this speedo cable driven so a little lube might fix it or electronic and I have bigger (and more expensive) issues if she buys it.

Hi Jim;

it needs a speedo assembly which is the complete insterment cluster. on that car they call it a smart cluster. if it reads correctly at speed I wouldn't worry too much about it but it will fail completely at some time.  you may be able to buy one at a junk yard depending on the state your in some allow it some do not. But the mileage is burned into the cluster so what ever you get try to find one with less mileage. You can always get one from a dealer. we get them from a reman facility usually they are under $300.00 but they need to be set up with a scan tool to make it work. that is the other option.  Oh they are electronically driven haven't had speedo cables in almost 30 years.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories