Pontiac Repair/Dead instrument gauges in 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix

I have a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with an apparent electrical problem. Sometimes when I either start the car or while I am driving, all of the gauges on the instrument panel (except the speedometer) go dead. The A/C stops working also. The computer display says Low Fuel even when it is not low. I have to turn off the ignition, and restart the car for the gauges to start working again. My mechanic recently replaced the A/C blower motor, but the issue is still occurring. Any idea what the problem might be?

Hi Christina.

sounds like either a battery cable issue or a bad/loose ground.
the battery cables on these cars go bad and the hotter it gets the more resistance there is in them and the battery voltage to the car drops to the point that the on board modules drop out due to low voltage. there is also a main body ground on the r/f frame rail under the fuse boxo just rear of the battery that corrodes and you get all kinds of weird issues like you stated. The A?C blower motor would not have anything to do with this any ways. that is a place to start I'm assuming that thing has a good battery in it and the alternator is charging properly. you stop by a big box auto parts store and have the battery and charging system checked for free. most of them offer that with the hope you will by the parts needed from them. Good luck :-}

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories