Pontiac Repair/engine surge when turning

Question
QUESTION: Hi there, I have a 1999 Pontiac Sun fire 2.2 ohv. When I turn right the RPM goes up 200. It doesn't seem to affect drive-ability of car , however this might be the start of something bigger. Thanks in advance Steve

ANSWER: Hi steve.
only on right turns? does the a/c on have anything to do with it as well? if it only does it turning in one direction there is the chance that there is something binding in the steering and it's putting an increased load on the engine and that is why the RPM's go up. with out seeing it or experiencing it It's hard to say. does the steering feel stiffer turning to the right then the left?

QUESTION: Hi there Todd ! I have a follow up question a bit more has happened to my 1999 pontiac sunfire 2.2. When you turn right or left the engine seems to slip out of drive and the engine revs about 200 rpm more. This only happens in drive , and stops after you have completed a turn.sf2Xgl Any ideas?. Thanks Steve

Answer
Hi steve:

what transmission is in the 3 speed or 4 speed? if your loosing "D" and it neutrals out that is not a good thing. It's not going to get any better and it's going to have to come apart Unless it's low on fluid. the 3 speed transmission has a dip stick and you can check it the 4 speed does not there is a special procedure you need to do to check it the engine need to be hot and you need to pull the sight plug out of the right side of the trnansmission it's a 7/16" head on the plug it's just below where the axle shaft comes of the the transmission. park the car on a level surface and turn the wheel all the way to the right or left which ever way it's easier for you to gain access to the plug. pull the plug out and the fluid should just dribble out of the plug. if not you have to add it though the vent plug on the top of the trnamission it's wither a red or black plastic plug take that out and add fluid from there.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio