Pontiac Repair/2007 pontiac g6 convertible

hi todd, i recently purchased the above vehicle and i am replacing the simple manual rear view mirror with a gentex autodim-compass-homelink powered mirror. i've dropped the headliner map lights assembly to tie in there so that i don't have to remove the headliner and the passenger A pillar and run wires under the glove box and dash to the fuse box. i just need to identify 2 wires i can splice into in the map light assembly: 1. a 12v acc wire and 2. a 12v constant power wire. i can easily find a spot to ground the third wire. if you can help me out i will happily donate $18, which is the same amount they ask for on "justanswer". thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Jim;

the fuse box in the center console is actually the body control module. take the side of the cnet console off on the divers side and you will be able to see the back side of it use a test light and probe the wires a constant power feed is usually red or pink wire check for power with the key off. then turn the key to run and find one that has power with the key on and goes away with the key off.  make sure you put inline fuses in both wires going up to the mirror in case they rub on something they don't melt the wires. good luck :)  

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories