Pontiac Repair/Grand Am transmission

Question
Morning, I have a 1995 6 cylinder Grand Am.. While driving home from work on the interstate the car quit going forward. Engine and power steering still working.  Engine did not rev up at all. Got to the side of the highway, tried reverse. Nothing.  Its the weirdest thing.  Car engine runs fine, but I have no forward or backwards. What can it be?  I have 219,000 miles on it.
Thank you!  I love my car!!!

Answer
Hi Carolyn:

I'll assume this is a 3 speed transmission? soulds like the direct clutches went bad that is used for drive/revers in that transmission or the torque converter broke that is waht couples the engine to the transmission. only other thing would be a gross fluid loss of some sort like a transmission cooler line let go something like that and there would be a puddle of fluid under the car.  either way it will have to be take out of the car to see what happened. with it being a 20 year old car with 200K on the odometer you need to decide if the car is worth an expensive repair. it's not going to be a quick easy fix. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio