Pontiac Repair/Varible Valve Replacement on 07 G6

Can you tell me how to replace the variable valve solenoid on a 07 g6 4 cylinder? Also is there one or two of these on the car? I have been told there are two and someone else said they thought it was just one.
Also can you show me where it is located on the engine? I am a visual person and a picture of its location would be most appreciated.

Hi Jay:
if indeed it is the valve only it's an easy fix. yes there are 2 of them depending on which one is at fault the intake one is torwards the front of the car and the exhaust one is towards the fire wall. take the black plastic cover off the top of the engine that says ecotec on it and towards the front of the engine on the right side of the car thee are 2 round silver valves that have a 2 wire connector on them. disconnect the wire harness and it has 1 100M head bolt that holds it down onto the cylinder head. take the bolt out use a pair of plaires and gently twist back and forth  and pull it up and out. reverse the procedure to pit it back in.  the light will have to be turned off with a scan tool or it needs to be driven about 3 drive cyleces from a cold start to hot in order for the engine computer to run and pass it's self tests if it's indeed the valve the light willgo off. it it's the actuator in the engine that the valve runs the light will say one and not go off. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories